Wednesday, August 24, 2005

The airport restaurant guide

Okay, this is off topic, but here's my airport restaurant guide, to get you through the perils of eating in the many airports around the nation. Mmmm, food. These are some good place to check out that you might not encounter in your neck of the woods. I personally am excited every time I go through an airport with one of these places, rather than the usual Pizza Hut and Burger King.

Garduno's Restaurant - outside security of the Albuquerque airport - a great place for tasty smoothies and blended drinks, as well as the classic and wonderful sopaipilla (yummy with honey!), which is a New Mexico staple.

Popeye's - Atlanta (inside security), Houston (inside security), New Orleans (outside security)- everyone loves fried chicken. I recommend the spicy recipe, with a biscuit and a side of red beans and rice. I eat it every time I can get my hands on it!

Potbelly Sandwich Works - Chicago Midway Airport - scrumptious toasted sandwiches! And don't wander the many concourses of O'Hare looking for it because it's just not there. And there's nothing sadder than not getting your yummy sandwich, especially after lugging your luggage all over.

Sonic Drive-in - New Orleans (outside security) - I can't explain why a drive-in chain that actually does carhop service has a branch at the airport, but boy, are their shakes yummy. I like banana, but I'm slowly being won over by the pineapple shake as well. CC swears by the strawberry limeade, and the chicken toaster. I'm not a fan of the breakfast toaster, but a large shake will tide me through many hours of a flight.

Pappasito's - Houston E terminal - Burritos with a fabulous rice/cheese something or another. Anyway, a great burrito.

Fuddruckers - Boston (Delta terminal/A) [outside security] - Tasty hamburgers, as well as a mean brownie. Yum! I believe one of tomcat's friends has gone to the airport with no flight impending, just to eat here.

Legal Seafood - Boston (Terminal C) - Great chowder, as well as fantastic crab roll sandwich. The rest of the seafood is probably good, but I never get past the chowder and the crab sandwich.

Qdoba - Seattle (between the B and C concourses) - The tomcat loves the queso burrito. I tried this place for the first time, and I'm still finding my favorite meal, but the steak in my last burrito was quite scrumptious.

Ivar's - Seattle (between the B and C concourses) - A Seattle classic restaurant; the chowder is very good, but don't forget a dash of tabasco!

Paradise Bakery and Cafe - Phoenix (outside the Southwest check-in area, outside security) - Cookies! I particuarly like the mini chipper cookies.

No comments: