Wednesday, November 23, 2005

So I finally read Robin Hobb's newest book Shaman's Crossing (The Soldier Son Trilogy, Book 1) (it took a while to get to the top of the waiting list at the library). I have to say that I wasn't that excited about it. It was kind of an Ender's Game set in a fantasy world, but I felt like I didn't know where the book was going. Lots of things happened and then the book ended. I'm not quite sure where the next book is going to go, in the sense that I don't feel like there's a grand climax to the story. It seems like it's just going to be more adventures of the main characters. Maybe I'll persuade one of my friends to read it first and then tell me if I should bother. Or maybe I'll wait until the trilogy is done before and find out if there's reasonable resolution before committing to another 1,000 plus pages...

Unfortunately, while looking for the Amazon page to link to Shaman's Crossing, I discovered that Tad Williams has a somewhat newish book out, which I now feel compelled to read. I enjoyed the Thorn, Shadow, whatever trilogy, was mystified and yet captivated by the talking cat book, and was sad that I somehow felt compelled to read the entire VR soul-sucking Internet trilogy (yeah, not good, and really long - the worst combination). I'm going on a long plane ride and I'm currently contemplating going down the street to the bookstore to buy the book right now. Oy.

No comments: