Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Cover my eyes!

I've figured out that my level of prudery for televisions is approximately cable-network-level. Meaning, I'm comfortable watching most of what is shown on cable networks, such as FX, USA, or TNT. This seems to be slightly more flexible than network TV, but thankfully more stringent than pay cable, like HBO.

I have been watching Six Feet Under and the last of Sex and the City, and honestly, I think I can do without seeing the sex scenes. Conversations about sex are fine, but ack, put it away! I'm trying to figure out why they are so prevalent (seems like one scene per episode) - although it seems like there is precedent for this in the sense that all romance novels are cutesy and lovey and then somewhere in the book, there is some traumatizingly graphic sex scene. Go figure.

Caveat: The extended soft focus make-out etc. sessions on network TV shows also get the TiVo fast-forward (Amy & Ephram on Everwood, Syd & Vaughn on Alias - I'm talking to you!), but mainly because there's no dialog and well, we all know how it's going to end, so I can just save myself those five minutes and get on with it.

- nyanko

No comments: