Saturday, August 12, 2006

Review: KIdnapped and Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip

My copy of the preview DVD with Kidnapped arrived last week and I finally got around to watching it. I was also quite happy to find out that Studio 60 on Sunset Strip was also on the disc so I didn't have to get the discs separately and waste two Netflix on it. Two in one! Everyone loves a good deal. I watched Studio 60 to have some comedy first, and it was pretty good. There have been a number of reviews that talked about Studio 60 being overrated, but overrated or not, it's still an Aaron Sorkin show. So, if you like Aaron Sorkin shows, which I have to admit I do, you'll enjoy this one. It was like a hit parade of people from other Aaron Sorkin shows, including Felicity Huffman, Danny Kincaid from West Wing, and of course, Bradley Whitford. It also had the ballet teacher from Center Stage. There are some sweeping shots that seem Jerry Bruckheimer-ish and a bit self-important (they worked better on West Wing), but the writing is good, and Amanda Peet is surprisingly likable. So, I'm actually really excited about the season. I give it a season pass!

Onward to Kidnapped, which was thoroughly enh. The characters and plot weren't all that compelling, and the show seemed to be trying very hard to make Jeremy Sisto seem very badass, with his resonant deep voice and unshaven scruff. I almost wonder if they redub his lines with the same thingie the Wizard of Oz used. The tomcat and I both agreed that it was pretty mediocre, so sadly, I think the preview disc convinced me that I'm going to skip the show altogether.

No comments: