Thursday, May 27, 2004

TV role model

Okay, so I have a TV role model, or maybe something of an aspirational hero... Anyway, I want to be Summer on the OC. I'm not quite sure why I like her so much, but I like that she is a bit spacey, without being stupid. And she can use power tools! Have I mentioned how much I wish I was handy and had my own cordless drill and other power tools? I'll pass on the saws, and things that can cut off limbs, but I'd love to be able to do basic home improvement.

Granted, she can be shallow (which I do not aspire to), but she has a good heart and she has great clothes! But this plays into another dilemma. Let's have a little story time! Once upon a time, there was a girl who was a UI designer for a software company, working on a page layout product. She went out to lunch with two of her co-workers. They were talking about interviewing job candidates and the male co-worker mentioned that his favorite last question is 'What magazines do you subscribe to?' His favorite response to this was the woman who said she subscribed to Cat Fancy. So the girl in our story says that she's lucky she didn't interview with this guy because she doesn't think she would have passed that question, as she subscribes to Martha Stewart Weddings, InStyle, Esquire, Lucky the shopping magazine and that her "magazine choices probably make her look like a floozy." Female co-worker says (paraphrasing here), "Actually, you [the girl] have really been an object lesson to me in not being judgmental and going with first impressions because I thought you were a floozy, but you've shown me that someone like you can be smart and care about the job blah blah." Oh MY God. OBJECT LESSON. And then, the other co-worker agreed with her assessment. AAAAGGGGHHHH. Who really wants to be an object lesson? Basically, this sounds like "I totally hated you at first, but now you're not so bad." A number of people have mentioned that at least she changed her mind, but um, cold comfort, okay?

So this is telling me that maybe I should change my role model to someone more like, um, Kirsten on the OC? Gil Grissom? Oprah? The Olsen sisters? But can they use power tools?

- nyanko

No comments: