Monday, May 15, 2006

So, I have a story about a friend (a real friend, not just a stand-in for me) who had an Netflix extra-DVD-stuffed-in-the-envelope incident. However, this is not a fun serendipidous incident, it is a hilarious to your friends incident. Or at least to your girlfriend. Anyhoo, this friend's initial excitement over the extra thick envelope and possible bonus movie quickly turned to horror when he read the following reviews about the movie he received, Child Bride.

The Netflix description: "Set in Appalachia, this shocking drama stars Shirley Mills as Jennie Colton, an underage girl railroaded into a union with odious hick Jake Bolby (Warner P. Richmond) … who's nearly three decades her senior. But Jennie's young beau, Freddie Nulty (Bob Bolinger) -- in league with an ostracized dwarf (Don Barrett) -- works to save her from a grim life. The film was proscribed in numerous places thanks to its topic and pointless child nudity. "

And one fabulous review: "Alright, first let me explain how I came across this movie. I'm a huge MST3K fan involved in a bad movie war. Two of the creators of MST3K in an interview talked about a movie that was so bad that they would not give its name. Using clues from the interview a friend of mine and I tracked this thing down and made the grave mistake of getting it. I can virtually guarantee that I am now on some FBI watch list. DO NOT WATCH THIS MOVIE. It contains CHILD NUDITY. It doesn't matter if you're part of a bad movie club, or enjoy watching terrible films, this isn't the enjoyable, funny bad this is just plain wrong and evil. I love watching bad movies, but I wish I could go back 2 hours and never have seen this thing. Let me reiterate the main point here: THIS FILM CONTAINS CHILD NUDITY. THE FBI IS WATCHING. I STRONGLY, STRONGLY RECOMMEND THAT, NO MATTER WHAT YOU'VE HEARD ABOUT THIS, YOU DO NOT RENT IT."

1 comment:

totoro said...

I laughed out loud... then I was very disturbed. Now I'm just disturbed... this film was made in 1936.