Monday, June 21, 2004

new summer shows

The dearth of new tv programming during the summer is giving me the chance to actually clean off the TiVo backlog (too much travel in the past few months has forced me to keep about 20 hours of saved shows for the past two and a half months - scary) and to catch up on shows that I don't really have time to watch when other shows are on.

I finally got around to watching Summerland and the North Shore, two of the new summer offerings. And my take is that Summerland is not good, but my standards somehow do not require 'good.' (Really, a horrifying thing to realize about yourself.) It's crappy, but enjoyable summer fluff - and does not have the huge cringe-inducing moments like say, Tru Calling (see below), at least not yet. The adult characters on the show are reasonably interesting/entertaining, so I'll keep watching.

The North Shore, on the other hand, is just a retread of Las Vegas, but with less attractive actors. And the occasional, half-hearted Hawaiian accent. I'll watch this week's episode to see Amanda Righetti (Hailey from the O.C.), but the Season Pass is already revoked. Is it bad to hope for a show's demise so that a good character goes back to another show? (Of course, I almost wish the Gilmore Girls spinoff succeeded so we could stop seeing Jess, but I supposed we would have been subjected to crossover events ...)

I also watched two episodes of Tru Calling, and although I like Eliza Dushku (Faith!), they were so painful that I just revoked the season pass. Sigh. I didn't get to see any of the Jason Preistley episodes, but I just can't take it anymore.

-nyanko

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

*sigh* Yes, we all wish Jess would succeed so that he would stay far far far far away from our beloved Gilmores. Although you must admit, the Jess scenes this year were rather funny.

Anonymous said...

If the self-help tape turns Jess from a total annoying punk into a semi-sympathetic character, or rather one who is not stab-a-spoon-into-my-eye aggravating at all times, then I will declare that that was a plot point of pure GENIUS.

- nyanko