Monday, November 29, 2004

Books and plane rides

I've been on a reading kick, due to a strategic error on my part in dealing with my library book requests. I requested a few books a while back, and as always, there was a long waiting line for the books I wanted. So I left both requests active, but in an unexpected turn of events, both books were available within a few days of each other. Of course, I couldn't just let one of them go, so I had to read about 1300 pages over the two week checkout period. (No renewals allowed when others have also requested the book.)

Anyway, the end result is that I finally read the geek bible, Cryptonomicon, over the Thanksgiving break. Two cross-country plane rides and some spare time (and one late night) gave me the chance to finish this book and I was highly entertained, but not so addicted that I lost all reason and stayed up all night for days in a row. Which I have to say is a good thing; books that keep you up all night for consecutive nights get exhausting and make me stay away from books for a while after a nasty book-crack experience. Totoro recommended the book to me years ago and even lent me a copy, which I left to get dusty for over six months before finally returning it to him. But I finally got back to it - thanks for the recommendation Totoro!

- nyanko

No comments: