Wednesday, November 17, 2004

House, M.D.

I was told that I'd have to say something about Fox's new medical drama House, so here goes.

First, there were some definite laugh out loud moments in this show, which I would never have guessed from the one trailer of this show that I saw. For some reason, the trailer made me think this was some kind of medical horror drama, and the "House" was referring to some Evil House of the Dead, rather than the name of the lead character. Maybe I was thinking about zombies for some reason. Other than the usual ones of course.

The show centers around a doctor named House played by Hugh Laurie (Wooster, from Jeeves & Wooster as my sister pointed out to me earlier today). Dr. House is your typical brilliant doctor who thrives on solving cases that no one else can figure out, and he also hates people. He sees the purpose of medicine to be the curing diseases, not patients. This is the gimmick that most of the quirk and humor in the show is derived from, and it works quite well. He's definitely not a Dr. Cox from Scrubs kind of people-hating person, but he makes it pretty well known in his own way and it's fun to watch.

Unlike shows like CSI, I didn't find the actual mystery solving part of this pilot to be incredibly engaging, though there were some definite CSI-like dramatizations of what was going on in the body that did grab my attention. However, since I like to watch shows that can carry themselves completely on dialogue, this one is going on the Currently Watching list until further notice.

- totoro

No comments: