Wednesday, June 22, 2005

TV Review: The Inside

Yet another show on Fox by Tim Minear & Co (Firefly, Wonderfalls, etc), this one coming in on the already insanely crowded crime-drama market.

The Inside focuses around a specialized FBI task force, and specifically on a new member of the team who happens to be a cute girl with a Dark Past (tm). I was looking for something that was like a combination of CSI and Wonderfalls, but instead I get a pretty dark drama with very little funny, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

It stars a girl I've never seen before, and IMDB doesn't help me much. However, you will also find Jayne from Firefly/Serenity, the sister from Wonderfalls, and the guy who played Steve on the ill-fated (for good reason) Coupling US.

Without going into any kind of plot detail, here are my first reactions, summarized:

Good: Interesting cases (so far), dark undertones, no characters are too annoying.

Bad: Not enough funny, everyone tries their hardest not to smile, they beat you over the head with "character" development (maybe they feel the need to establish character roles in the early episodes, the nice guy who empatizes, the whatever-it-takes boss, etc.)

Not what I expected, but decent nonetheless. I will continue watching with the expectation it will stay interesting.
You know, as opposed to just watching cause it's the only thing out now.

On a related note. Wow I posted. Shock.

No comments: