Monday, June 27, 2005

TV Review: Supernatural

Supernatural is a new WB show coming out this fall, in the time-slot following Gilmore Girls on Tuesday nights. Clearly there is some hope that those who liked Dean in GG will follow up with an interest in his latest role.

First off, I was not expecting to actually be shocked by a WB show. I have a fairly clear idea of the kind of things I expect from the WB, and there is never any blood involved. There's actual paranormal violence going on in here, and it's not the kind of stuff you see in Charmed.
The formula for this show is a tried and true one, and it looks like we're going to get to follow "Dean" and his brother Dean around the country as they hunt (their actual word) demons for fun and sport, oh and to avenge a dark past. Each episode is likely to be an isolated case they deal with in some corner of the country, with an overarching plot line tying it together.

Crime shows and supernatural things are all the rave these days, so this fits within that formula. I wish there was more funny, but all the shows I'm watching these days seem to dispense with that, so I can deal. The pilot definitely worked on me, so I'll be following up with this show come the Fall season.

Seriously though, who thought it was a good idea to call Dean's brother Dean?

Expectation: Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Actual: more like Lost, but with CSI-like episodes
Bottom line: As long as the main characters don't start annoying me, I'll be watching.

2 comments:

Holly Golightly said...

wait, after GG on tues nights? what's going to happen to OTH?? haha, obviously, that's my main concern. don't think i'll be watching this one; paranormal and demons aren't exactly my thing.

totoro said...

One Tree Hill is now on Wednesdays at 8. Then again, what do you care? You have Tivo!