Thursday, September 27, 2007

Bionic Woman

Totoro commented on the ratings for Bionic Woman, and I have to say that I was surprised that it got such good ratings. I'm surprised because 1) it didn't get great reviews, but since buzz doesn't equate to ratings and lots of seemingly crappy movies do well, perhaps this is just an extension of that trend, 2) it was available on Amazon Unbox and online to see ahead of time, so I would have thought that it would erode the initial audience because people have seen the first episode already and 3) the tomcat, who has no standards, really didn't think it was good.

I am very curious how making a pilot available ahead of the premiere affects the ratings. I would think that crappy pilots would have the same issue as crappy movies, such that word of mouth would sink them, so that if the pilot wasn't very good, networks wouldn't put them up. I think that's kind of what's happening with Moonlight and Caveman, which have not sent out screeners to critics (the equivalent of a movie premiering without a critic screening and thus having no reviews on Friday morning, which does seem to help that movie get at least a decent first weekend of revenues). But obviously word of mouth depends on how the show is received in the country at large, so I guess maybe the country at large thinks it's great. Those are also the people watching CSI: Miami. And I'd be curious to see how many people got around to downloading pilots on Amazon Unbox or watching the show online, but the networks may not make that info public...

2 comments:

totoro said...

Speaking of Moonlight, the recasting of girl-from-OC makes me even less likely to even think of watching this show than I already was. Unless new girl is much cuter I suppose.

nyanko said...

I think the new girl is cuter, but a trivia note - it also involves Shannyn Sossamon, who was an extremely short lived It girl, when she was in A Knight's Tale with Heath Leadger and maybe 40 Days and 40 Nights with Josh Hartnett.