Thursday, September 20, 2007

The Seeker: The Dark is Rising Movie

These Susan Cooper books are one of my favorite young adult fantasy series, so I was both excited and afraid when I heard they were turning it into a movie. I'm hoping it will be more like Harry Potter/Lord of the Rings and less like Narnia, in terms of popularity. Have any fantasy books really taken off because of a movie adaptation? I'm not sure, but it doesn't seem like it's necessarily a recipe for success. I wonder if Tad Williams will eventually get a movie deal as well...

Anyway, there's a trailer up for the movie, and it looks decent. Based on my recollection of the books, it seems like they've taken some liberties with the story, as well minimized the fact that the story took place in Wales (Welsh is cool! But probably too confusing for a movie...). Mark me as still excited!

And it appears there's a reality show by MTV and Apple associated with the behind the scenes aspect of the movie. So You Want to be a Movie Intern is a web series on iTunes about nine interns living together in Romania while the movie is being filmed. I guess this is what happens when nine strangers stop being polite and start being real. Or start having really bad hookups and alcohol problems in front of lots of people. Oh, that's another show (which the tomcat is TOTALLY watching). Anyway, I can only hope this turned out better than the jobs that the other Real World kids did.

No comments: