Friday, October 01, 2004

Kevin Hill

I think I've become the designated UPN-show-reviewer for this blog. If you had told me I'd be talking about two new UPN shows in the span of two weeks just a little while ago, I'd have gone ahead and watched a CSI:Miami marathon and just gotten this whole mortal coil thing done with.

Instead, Veronica Mars did indeed live up to most of its hype (though I haven't watched past the pilot yet), and there is yet another show in Kevin Hill which has great promise. I had not heard a thing about this until yesterday, but after you get past the bizarre-yet-cliched premise, this show actually delivers on several levels.

You've got Taye Diggs (enough said, some might think) playing a womanizing high-powered lawyer who is forced to take care of his dead cousin's infant girl along with a gay nanny.

There are definitely some cliches going on here (now that I have a child in my care I must cease my bachelor ways and become a real man), but I couldn't deny that it was actually quite an entertaining show. Taye does his uber-charismatic thing as usual, the lawyer stuff is entertaining as it is with most of the other shows with lawyers (Miss Match and Ally McBeal come into mind), the gay nanny (the bookstore owner from Joan of Arcadia, actually) doesn't do much, but gets a little of the funny, and the supporting characters are able to carry the rest. Though really, it's all about Taye.

- totoro

No comments: