Monday, July 12, 2004

giving in to the reality of the Amazing Race

Okay, until now, I've avoid most reality TV. I've loosely followed the tragedies of Real World, without actually having to the experience the pain firsthand, by reading TWOP recaps and talking to Mr. Boyfriend, who is inexplicably drawn to horrible MTV reality shows. I've caught random episodes of other reality shows, although the pain has usually driven me to tears so I've avoided getting sucked in.

But I finally watched an episode of the Amazing Race which just started last week. It wasn't great, but hey, it's better than Summerland and it could improve as it continues. So I guess I can no longer claim moral superiority, but I will claim that this show involves a decent competition (as opposed to the hokey immunity challenges in Survivor) and that it's less manipulative (though not manipulation free) than say, Real World. Plus, I get to see lots of different countries so I can decide whether I want to take a vacation there later on!

- nyanko

No comments: