Tuesday, July 06, 2004

reading addictions

I just finished reading Robin McKinley's Spindle's End, which was enh. I'm hoping to get some more reading done, now that this summer is turning out to be such a drought of televised entertainment. And I'm actually capable of doing some fun reading now that I have cut myself off from the Sunday New York Times. It always took me the whole week to read almost all of the paper, and some of the less time sensitive sections piled up because I wanted to read them, but didn't have time. I just finished off a big pile during a long plane right last week, but I think there are still a couple travel sections sitting at home... Mr. Boyfriend mocks me for reading every article, but I like it! Take that, Boyfriend! But really, there was no time to read anything else with the NY Times arriving every Sunday. Perhaps I'll pick up something less voluminous so I can keep up with current affairs, like the Economist...

However, I am hoping to avoid the crack-like addiction I had earlier this year to the nine book Robin Hobb series that ate about three months of my life and every evening until 3 am, even on "school nights." That was a tragedy that was only escaped when I realized that I needed to just drop everything and power through the books so I could get my life back. I'm still not sure whether I should recommend the books to others, since they might also end up with their own three month crack-like addiction and never take my book recommendations again.

Hmm, apparently this year I have just gone straight from one reading addiction to another - I wonder at what point I will have to admit that I have a problem and start my own branch of Readers Anonymous.

- nyanko

No comments: