Monday, September 20, 2004

Sky Captain

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow feels like a movie that I've been watching trailers for since the age of 6. That's a reference to the amount of time I've been hearing hype for this movie, rather than the implication that its old pulp 30-40's style is something that reminds me of my childhood.
Which gets me to the main point: stylistically fantastic as it was, I felt the movie was a letdown in terms of its potential to be a great movie, what with the high RT score and metascore.

There's not much memorable in terms of what actually happens in the movie, but the style of the movie is undeniable. Gwyneth tries hard to be Veronica Lake, but doesn't quite get there. Giovanni is likable and fun but seemed a bit out of place in the style of film we see here. And Jude puts in a solid performance but doesn't really stand out. Angelina, however, does stand out in the 2 minutes that she has.

The trailers gave me much more hope for having a old school sci-fi pulp action film with some cheezy action and witty banter and it does deliver the goods to some degree, but you can get almost as much just from the trailers. Not to say that the movie wasn't entertaining, because it certainly was, but it wasn't that memorable and my inclination to watch too many movie trailers and read too many articles about movies brought the expectations way up.

Bottom line: go find it on netflix, nyanko.

- totoro

1 comment:

CatBusExpress said...

Beat you to it. It's been on my queue for at several months now.

- nyanko