Saturday, June 17, 2006

I finally watched at least one of my Netflix, Casanova, and it was decent.

My thoughts: Siena Miller isn't very reconizable - she just looks like an attractive woman in general, but I think her blond mod look is the only thing that makes me recognize her in pictures. And Heath Ledger doesn't enunciate well. I thought maybe the unintelligible speech was part of his "character interpretation" in Brokeback Mountain, but I now realize that's just how he talks. And Lena Olin is really pretty, even in weird wigs.

The good: Venice is pretty. I'd like to spend several weeks in Venice filming a movie. The plot is frothy and fun.

The bad: Blah blah, Siena as empowered feminist trapped in the eighteenth century, blah blah, betrothed against her will, forced to marry for money, blah blah. That plot is much more appealing in Jane Austen remakes, except those that feature Keira Knightley.

The final verdict: I must have been in a good mood, because I found it fun and entertaining. It's worth a cheap rental on your own. I would not recommend forcing others to watch with you unless they also like non-serious period pieces.

No comments: