Tuesday, June 20, 2006

I finished watching Treasure Hunters last night and the overall verdict is ambivalent. I still have a season pass and I'm intrigued because the show has a number of aspects that I wish would be incorporated into the Amazing Race. In particular, I like that the clues are ambiguous and that the teams have to figure out where to go, and may even end up at the wrong place. I also like that the teams were paired up so they had to work with another team that they did not know.

The show doesn't really focus on the personal interactions of the teams, which I wish they would do a bit more of, but that might increase when there are less teams to cover. The three person teams may result in interesting conflict over decision-making. Unfortunately, none of the teams seem super smart, including the self-proclaimed "Geniuses" or "Grad Students," which can make the show a bit painful. We also realized that the descriptive names of the teams tended to be stretching the truth - for example, the Grad Students have two members who are working on or have masters degrees, but all seems to currently be bartenders. And one member doesn't seem to have an advanced degree at all. Go figure. And it's unclear if the Ex-CIA were only in the co-op program of the CIA.

The show was also set up such that there were two starting points, each with five teams who did not know about the existence of the other five teams, but the meeting of the teams was really scripted and fake, so that was kind of funny. So, overall, I'm interested, but not totally taken in, but I have hopes for improvement!

No comments: