Monday, October 08, 2007

How many shows will people watch?

Apparently, people who work in television believe that most people only really love and loyally watch less than 10 shows, and maybe even only 6 shows. This makes sense to me because if you don't have a DVR, you will make an appointment to sit down and watch certain shows, but it's hard to watch something every night of the week. It seems like TV networks are annoyed by DVRs, but I wonder if DVRs have actually lowered the bar for what you'll watch since you can watch it at your leisure. I certainly keep more shows around because I can, and watch them when I have a chance. Of course, since I'm not watching the commercials, the networks still have the right to be annoyed. It would be interesting to see what number of TV shows DVR-owners loyally watch - my number is certainly much higher than 10. I also wonder if the number referenced above refers to 6-10 shows at any given time, or just 6-10 shows across all shows. Meaning, most people can only track the time and day of 10 shows, and after that, they give up and don't want to deal with any more logistics.

This article also talks about the high buzz factor of many cable shows this summer and how the fall network shows have seemed to pale in comparison, and speculation on if this will really hurt the broadcast networks.

No comments: