Thursday, May 31, 2007

Fox - Fall 2007 Previews



Fox's fall lineup is next, and the interesting thing is that the two remaining networks seem to have many more new series coming in for the next season, so either they are trying to play catch-up or there's just that much good stuff out there (or NBC/CBS just aren't showing everything yet). Fox is still running out its big hitters American Idol and 24 next season, but both of those are having steadily diminishing appeal. I've looked at clips/trailers from 7 new series for the coming season, although there are several more reality/game show types that are also coming up.

  • Back To You - This seems to be like Frasier, only instead of Kelsey Grammar being a psychiatrist, he's a disgraced anchorman from a big market going back to his roots in the ever hilarious Pittsburgh. I never really even liked Frasier that much, so this is not happening for me.
  • Canterbury's Law - Julianna Margulies as a hard-hitting attorney, I am so not interested.
  • K-ville - Anthony Anderson as a hero cop in post-Katrina New Orleans. More zzzz, but I never watched The Shield, which is probably the kind of audience this is trying to appeal to (I believe Anderson also appeared in several episodes of The Shield).
  • New Amsterdam - A guy does a heroic act a long time ago and gets blessed with immortality with a catch, he cannot die until he finds his true love. Aww. At least he's not a vampire or anything, but of course he does good deeds with all his experience and long-living as a police detective. Dialogue does not appear to be witty.
  • The Return of Jezebel James - Parker Posey doing her thing, only this time her thing is going back to an estranged sister to ask for a surrogacy. I haven't been a fan of Parker for quite some time so her doing her usual insanely shrill thing is not particularly attractive.
  • The Rules for Starting Over - Farrelly Brothers comedy about 4 friends who are newly single in their 30s, hilarity supposedly ensues as they all look for their perfect mates at this "ancient" age. I'm not a fan of most things Farrelly but people who are would probably consider this. The clips I've seen support my decision to skip this, as we have a monkey, a guy in a leprechaun suit, and fart jokes. Oh, and come on, 30 is totally young.
  • The Sarah Connor Chronicles - !!! I saved this for last because this is probably the only one on this whole list that I'm actually going to watch. We've got Zach from Heroes (Claire's friend - Thomas Dekker) as John Connor, Lena Headey (the wife from 300) as Sarah, and Summer Glau (River from Firefly) as their protective Terminator model. This could be good, although from the clips that I've seen, they really need John to stop being so whiny. It's likely that this will play out like an extended Terminator movie, which should be a good thing. I'm hoping we're going to see lots of terminators running around and Sarah and River kicking ass. For people who are familiar with the movies, this is set between Terminator 2 and 3.

2 comments:

nyanko said...

Woo, Summer Glau is back!

So, does the Amy Sherman Palladino angle make the Jezebel James show any more appealing to you?

totoro said...

I kind of forgot about the whole Amy Sherman-Palladino thing, but it doesn't affect my initial judgement of the show based on the clips I've seen. Parker Posey just kind of annoys me in every role I've ever seen, although some people appear to be big fans of hers.

I had heard about the Terminator show a while ago, but didn't realize that Summer Glau was in it, that just made it a whole lot better.