Monday, March 21, 2005

Review: Ice Princess

Over the weekend, I made time between watching thousands of hours of basketball, to see Ice Princess. Sadly, this does mean that I contributed to the opening box office numbers for this movie. But I actually really enjoyed the movie. Michelle Trachtenberg succeeds in being far more likable than in Buffy. There's a surprising amount of humor around the Zamboni, including a really cute scene with the love interest. Anyway, it's no Cutting Edge, but nice for a teenybopper ice skating movie!

Pain index: 1.5 spiky balls of pain (Joan Cusack is painful, but surprisingly the rest of the movie is slightly cringe-worthy, but not so much of the intense pain that usually accompanies this type of movie)
Sniffle index: 1 wadded ball of Kleenex (sniffles and damp eyes, but no actual tears)
Expectations: Princess Diaries
Actual: A Cinderella Story (better than average for what it is)
Overall: I'm ashamed, but I really liked it. I give it a yay! And I would consider watching it again on DVD.

P.S. Also stars Hayden Pannetiere, who I recently saw on L&O: SVU while actually watching live TV on a work trip. And I would like to say now, that when you recognize a plot that has been ripped from the headlines *and* has appeared on one or more other crime shows, you start to feel like you really have no life.

- nyanko

No comments: