Monday, July 10, 2006

Pirates and Trailers

Well, I made my contribution to the record-breaking weekend for Pirates of the Carribean: Dead Man's Chest. The movie was much more popular than I would've expected, especially considering the mediocre reviews. As an extra bonus, we got to sit next to someone who greatly resembled Comic Book Guy from The Simpsons.

The movie was not bad, and I was entertained for a good period of it, but one of the highlights was the set of previews before the movie, possibly one of the better trailer lineups in recent memory.

First of all, there is Invincible, Yet Another Cheesy Feel-good Disney Sports Film, this time with Marky-Mark as a regular guy who becomes an NFL player. I continue to be a sucker.

Next up there is Fearless, billed as Jet Li's last major martial arts film, and again with the time-tested plot of one man up against great odds. In this case it's Jet Li up against a bunch of thuggish looking Westerners who want to break the spirit of China, or something.

Finally, there's Rocky Balboa. Highly anticipated "end" of the Rocky franchise, and a trailer that is not yet online. More underdog story goodness. I don't remember seeing Milo in the trailer, but Jess as Rocky Jr. has got to be funny.

4 comments:

nyanko said...

Ah, Milo as Rocky Jr. I think I did see an interview with him where he talked about that. Sounds like it could be tragic but not in a way that really appeals to me. Not in an Aquamarine kind of way! But I love how all the trailers are so testosterone-fuelled. I suddenly realized that I'm not the target demographic for Pirates because none of those truly appeal to me.

manganese said...

Sadly, the trailers at my theater for POTC2 were not as good. We also had Invincible (but I'd seen that one before), then M. Night Shyamalan's new flick "Lady in the Water", and then a Ben Stiller movie called "Night at the Museum", and "Accepted", about some kids who make up their own college. Aside from the first one, the rest of the trailers didn't interest me much... :(

totoro said...

The Rocky trailer is now online.

nyanko said...

I watched the Rocky trailer and uh, where's Milo? Because while Milo isn't a huge draw, I'm certainly not going to see the movie for the boxing. Okay, I guess I'm not going to see this movie.