Wednesday, July 12, 2006

So my friend SC and I went to see The Devil Wears Prada last night and I have to say that I really enjoyed it. SC knew three people who had actually liked the movie, which overcame our fears about the mixed reviews the movie had received. The movie was cute and entertaining, and everyone looked beautiful. And of course, my takeaway from this is that I need to go shopping.

The actual message/moral of the film seems pretty muddy - I'm not quite sure what it is and I'm not sure if I like the message (since the friends seem to chastise the main character for taking her job seriously). There was this assumption that the main chracter had sold her soul, but if she had, that wasn't communicated very well in the movie.

I also really liked Anne Hathaway. She's all grown up! Princess Diaries + sequel (so painful!) and Ella Enchanted didn't cement me as Anne Hathaway fans, and her part in Brokeback Mountain wasn't exactly something that makes you go "Ooh, I love Anne Hathaway movies", but I think this one might have done it for me. I'll have to see what else is on tap for her. Gotta have a new girlie idol since Rachel McAdams has decided to live a normal person life and just go to the grocery store and walk her dog with Ryan Gosling. Maybe Rachel will have a spectacular wedding with adequate coverage in InStyle Weddings to make it up to me.

In closing, if you like entertaining chick flicks, and you aren't too nitpicky about weird and gaping plot holes and character development (and really, what chick flicks are really good at this?), you'll enjoy this movie.

2 comments:

Holly Golightly said...

unfortunately, i think anne is kind of boring too; she was lamenting on 'the view' that the paparazzi just don't care what she's up to, they don't even notice her.

oh, you should check out some of the articles that talk about the fashion in the movie, those were interesting too.

totoro said...

It's true, I don't think I've ever seen Anne show up on any of the various celebrity gossip sites that I've seen. They continue to be more obsessed with pseudo-celebrities who I can't even identify in a line-up, like Sienna Miller and Brooke Burke. I'm still not sure who these people are.