Thursday, July 13, 2006

Sadly, I'm a big fan of teenybopper movies, and this was one of my first forays into tweenybopper movies. Last night, I watched Aquamarine, which had Emma Roberts (niece of Julia), Jojo (the pop star, who looks Lindsay Lohan circa The Parent Trap) and Sara Paxton (the crazy girlfriend from Summerland). The main characters are eighth grade girls, so obviously, we're skewing pretty young here. But I thought the movie was cute and sweet. It's predictable and sappy, but not too painful and seems appropriate for the age range. For instance, [SPOILER] (heh) the romance plot does not directly involve the eighth grade girls - they help the mermaid, who is presumably older, find love. So the secondary story mostly revolves around the friendship between the two girls. Also, Arielle Kebel (Dean's wife from Gilmore Girls) is the villain and has now appeared in my posts on two consecutive days. I guess I now know what she's been doing since Gilmore Girls.

Anyway, you might not seek it out, but if it ends up on the Family channel and you're home sick, you might enjoy it. Who doesn't love mermaids? Also, the shell phone/cell phone pun from the trailer? Always funny.

No comments: