Wednesday, July 12, 2006

So, the trailers before the Devil Wears Prada were an extremely mixed bag. First up, and the most sensible match for the movie's audience was John Tucker Must Die, which actually seemed like it might be funny and was notable for starring a bunch of women who are mostly marginally famous. It was the girl from American Dreams (Brittany Snow), the girl who played Dean's wife on Gilmore Girls (Arielle Kebel), the girl who got the quickie divorce from Chad Michael Murray (Sophia Bush), and some other girl (Ashanti Douglas) who may or may not be the singer. But the trailer was interesting enough that I'd put it on my Netflix queue.

Second at bat was My Super Ex-Girlfriend. This should have been a good match (stars Luke Wilson and has a girl superhero), if the trailer didn't suck so much that even if it got fabulous reviews I still probably wouldn't watch. That's how scarring this trailer was. It was painfully long, not funny, and Uma's character is a psycho girlfriend. So, the question is who wants to watch this? Most women don't like to admit they are nuts, so I'm not sure they want to go, so maybe the target audience is men who think it will be funny to see Luke Wilson get stalked by a superhero. Hmm. Maybe?

And third up, and the most surprisingly entertaining was the trailer for the Ashton Kutcher, Kevin Costner action-drama The Guardian, about Kevin training the newbies for Coast Guard helicopter rescues. The money quote: "How do you decide who gets to live?" I don't know, Ashton, how do you? Kevin says he "just swims as fast as he can, until he can't swim anymore." The trailer is brilliant. I can only hope that it reaches the level of hilarity and super cheese that Armageddon does. I am so there.

5 comments:

totoro said...

If I'm not mistaken, "John Tucker" is played by the garden-boytoy in Desperate Housewives.

nyanko said...

Yeah, you're right. But he's no Capt. Apollo.

totoro said...

Oh, and yeah. That Ashanti is indeed the same person as the singer. This is like many years ago when I heard that someone named "Jennifer Lopez" had released an album, it took me a while to confirm that it really was the same person as the actress.

Holly Golightly said...

i love trailers!! and at least i hadn't seen any of those before. i totally thought 'my super ex girlfriend' sounded promising when i heard about it but upon watching the trailer, i agree that uma is too psychotic she is essentially the villain of the movie. i think you'd WANT luke to get rid of her.

as for 'the guardian,' all i could think of was, "they're making a movie about the COAST GUARD??!!" hahaha

manganese said...

Oh yeah, POTC2 had a trailer for the Guardian too - and for some strange reason I think I want to see it.